ST. GREGORY `THE GREAT` CHURCH, RENDLESHAM.
Ashe road, Rendlesham, Suffolk, IP12-2QY.
Rendlesham was a royal centre of authority for the King of East Anglians, of the Wuffing lines, the proximity of the Sutton Hoo ship-burials which seems to be a place to honour the dead, as it would have been seen from the river, being on top of a hill, with a royal court at Rendlesham.
It is known that Swithaelin, son of Seaxbald, who reigned from 660 to around 664 A. D., was baptized at Rendlesham by Saint Cedd with King AEthelwald of East Anglia acting as his godfather. he died around the time of the great plague and may have been buried at the palace of Rendlesham which is reckoned to be not far from the church.
Its name is recorded in Old English about 730 A. D. as Rendleesham, which could mean homestead belonging to (a man named) Rendel, ot it may come from a theorized Old English word rendel meaning `little shore`.
the Vicarage, Walnut tree avenue, Rendlesham, Suffolk, IP22-2GG
2nd Sunday Holy communion 0900hrs
4rd .. Morning prayer 0900hrs
5th .. Cluster service rotates amongst the local churches
please contact the rev`d to find which church it is
Taize service held evey Sunday 1830hrs winter
ST. MARY `THE VIRGIN`CHURCH, LITTLE ABINGTON.
35. Church lane, Little Abington, Nr Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB21-6BQ, O/S map 148, ref TL 529 492.
This church is about 8 miles south-east from Cambridge, just off from two busy roads, one from Cambridge to Colchester and the other London to Newmarket, which follows the course of the old Roman road, the church is set in a quite spot, of which the aisleless nave is the oldest part being Saxo-Norman, also having a Perpendicular tower with a north transept, and an aisleless chancel.
ST. MICHAEL CHURCH, ASLACTON.
Church road, Aslacton, Norfolk, NR15 2JN. O/S map 137 ref TM 156 910
Tel Vicar 01953 788161
The church, is 12 miles approx from Norwich on a south-south-west direction and about 2 miles west from the Roman road which connected Norwich to Ipswich, the west round tower is the Anglo-Saxon feature whilst the main body of the church consists of an aisleless chancel, and a nave with south aisle, south porch, and north vestry.
ASSUMPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY CHURCH, BARTON WEST.
grove road, West Barton, Norfolk, NR21 O/S map 125 ref
TF 905 336
Tel none e-mail on church web-site
Parking is available by the church
The fine manor of West Barton, is about 3 miles north of Fakenham on the B1105, being on the right handside of the road, the church is within well kept gronds and extensive farm buildings, which provides an attractive setting for this small flint-built church, probably dating from the mid 11th century. The greater part of the original aisleless nave and chancel have survived, the chancel has been considerably enlarged to the east, plus a porch has been added to the south wall of the nave.
ST. MARY CHURCH, BEECHAMWELL.
Beechamwell, Norfolk, PE37-8BD O/S map 125 ref 750 053
Tel Vicar 01366 348079 e-mail on their church web-site
Able to park nearby.
The quite village of beechamwell, which once had three churches, lies far from the main road, being 5 miles south-east of Swaffham, the church stands at the west end of the village.
The church consists of a round, late-saxon, west tower with an octagonal belfry which was built on later date and a rectangular nave and chancel forming a one unit structure, finishing off with a 15th century south aisle, uncut flints is the building material of the church, with stone facings.
ST. LAWRENCE. BEESTON.
Stalham road, Beeston, Norfolk, NR12-8YS O/S map 126 ref TG 328 219
Tel Vicar 01692 630216 no e-mail anywhere.
There appears to be no village of Beeston, as there is only a church and hall next to the road A1151, and that is where you will have to park, surrounding is a park with a lake to the south, the church is about 10 miles north-west from Norwich and 4 miles beyond Wroxham.
The present church consists of a round west tower, an aisleless nave with a south porch, and an aisleless chancel of the same width, the church over time has had a series of enlargements from the original smaller church, so that the west and north walls of the nave are original, plus the west tower, these were built in the 11 th century Anglo-norman period.
ST. MARY CHURCH, BESSINGHAM.
High street, Bessingham, Norfolk, NR11-7JR O/S map 125 ref TG 166 370
Tel Vicar 01263 734761 e-mail church web-site
Parking unable to find out on this, know doubt there you can park nearby!.
The village is about 4 miles south of Sheringham, the church being built on high alnd which appears to have formed part of an earthwork. The church is small and simple, consisting of an 11th century slim west tower, a south porch and an aisleless nave and chancel whicj now form a single rectangular building under one roof. The original church must, however, have had a narrower chancel, as can be seen with quorns in the north nave wall, this wall plus the west wall of the nave are 11th century.
Also in Bessingham is the `Bessingham steam and gardens`well worth a visit.
ALL SAINTS CHURCH, BRADLEY LITTLE.
off B1061 Thurlow road `to east`, Little Bradley, Suffolk, CB9-7JD. O/S map 148 ref TL 681 521
Tel Vicar 1440 763521
Parking is by the church on the road.
This small church of Little Bradley, being about 4 miles north of Haverhill and close to the Cambridgeshire border, the church lies in a small hamlet, with surrounding farmland.
The church has a west tower late Saxon 1040 approx, an aiseless nave and western half of the chancel is early post-conquest 1075 approx, whilst the eastern half is slightly later, approx 1090.