ALL SAINTS CHURCH
Church Street, Brixworth, Northampton, NN6 –
All Saints is one of the oldest, largest and most complete Anglo-Saxon/Englisc churches in the country, founded in 680AD,set on a hill to the north of Brixworth which sweeps down then up the other side of this valley, being approx 6 miles from the centre of Northampton.
Brixworth is mentioned in the Peterborough Chronicle as being a monastery founded when Sexwulf became bishop of Mercia, before the death of king Wulhere in 675AD.
What remains of the original building is the arcaded nave with windows, a presbytery, the apse was rebuilt in the 19th century on its original foundations, the tower was built in the 10th century over the narthex, where the original entrance to the church would have been, on the outside of the tower is a stair turret, one of only four in the country. also was found a three arched screen which seperated the nave from the presbytery where the priests would have been, the bricks for the church came from a large Roman villa.
It is possible the church was used for the Clofesho synods in the 8th and 9th centuries.
The vicar – The Reverand new vicar in April
The vicarage, Station road, Brixworth,
tel 01604 880286
The church is open daily
Guided tours of church
Guided tours arranged by Beverley King,
also refreshments can be arranged, groups as large as coach
parties can be catered for.
7-45am Holy Eucharist (first Sunday only)
10-15am Sung Eucharist and address
Tuesday 9-30am Holy Eucharist (subject to alteration)
Friday 7-45am Holy Eucharist (subject to change)
In September their is a lecture on an aspect of the Anglo-Saxon/Englisc period,the vicar can give details on this, plus in the church there are booklets for past lectures.
Lecture starts at 17.00hrs.
Tea from 15.30hrs at the Heritage Centre, Church Street. Brixworth.
Tickets can be obtained at the door, Adults £6- / Students & Friends £5-
route 62 Northampton, Kingsthorpe, Chapel Brampton, Brixworth, & Scaldwell
Mon – Fri From Northampton bus station (c) stand
1140 1415 Sat 1140 1630
return from Brixworth 1216 1456 1221 1711
Northampton bus station
Mon – Fri
0739 0949 then 49 past each hour until last one at 1549
mini-bus service from Northampton to Brixworth
Mon-Sat excludes bank holidays
tel 01604 882798, must pre-book 8 seater cab.
nearest station is Northampton on the
London (Euston) to Birmingham line
3 trains an hour each way
there is a car-park at the church which is up a road by the old school.
Places to eat
Coach & Horses
Brixworth, NN6 – 9BX
tel 01604 880329
The Old Post House
2, Kennel terrace, NN6 – 9DL
tel 01604 880319
The Red Lion
Harborough road, NN6 – 9BX
tel 01604 88024
ODDA`S CHAPEL 7 ST. MARY`S CHURCH
Deerhurst, Gloucestershire, GL19 – 4BX
This chapel was rediscovered in 1865 by the Rev`d George Butterworth, being undiscovered for centuries hidden in a 17th farmhouse, amidst the rambling rooms of Abbots court, the knave being the kitchen whilst the chancel was a bedroom, the chapel being stone built whilst the rest of the house was timber framed, the house was built on a ridge which overlooked the river Severn about 100yds / 100m away, and about 200yds / 200m from St Mary`s church.
Two clues helped the Rev`d rediscover this little gem, one was an entry in the Medieval Chronicle of Tewkesbury Abbey describing a church that stood opposite the gateway of Deerhurst Priory, being dedicated to The Holy Trinity.
The second was the discovery of the Odda Stone in an orchard near the Parish church in 1875 with an inscription which stated.
“Earl Odda had this Royal hall built and dedicated in honour of The Holy Trinity for the soul of his brother Aelfric, which left the body in this place. Bishop Ealdred dedicated it the second of the Ides of April in the fourteenth year of the reign of Edward, King of the Englisc”.
so the chapel was built in the 12th April 1056 in memory of Aelfric who had died three years earlier , Earl Odda who was related to Edward `the confessor` being responsible for a short time the governor of this large area of the south west.
Edward conveyed the chapel also the manor of Deerhurst to Westminster Abbey shortly before his passing.
The chapel is thought to have gone out of use in the 13th century.
St Mary`s Church
The name Deerhurst comes from `wood frequented by deer`which lies at a traditional fording point of the Severn, which in the late 7th century the Anglo-Saxons founded a mission here, but the first historical mention of the Priory was in 804.
In 804 Aethelfric, Son of Earl Aethelmund of Hwicca ( a Saxon sub-kingdom in this area ) St Mary`s could have been the Mother church / Minster / Priory of Hwicca where their kings were buried also Aethelfric granted a large area of land so the church could become self sufficient, which also became an important political place where important events including the 1016 treaty between King Edmund `Ironside` and King Canute on the division of England.
the original 7th century church was a simple rectangular building with a west door, an aspe and side chapels added in the 8th century, in the 9th century the apse was rebuilt and the chapels extended along the whole length of the church and the tower was erected in the 10th century, as very little was demolished during the following centuries only adding onto the existing building, it became a very interesting detecting work, just the same as St Lawrence in Bradford upon Avon, Wiltshire.
There are many interesting Anglo/saxon features of this church with a tall knave , the demolished aspe on the eastern end with an angel on the south wall here, on the interior of the A/S tower is a simple but beautiful modonna & child, there are many other A/S features around this very interesting church, including the 9th century font of carved golden stone with a design of strong Welsh influences as is reputed to be one of the oldest fonts in England.
St Alphege Archbishop of Canterbury a former monk living here in the 11th century who was captured in Canterbury by the Danes later martyring him by throwing bones at him, for the fun of it!
The Priest in charge
The vicarage, 1, The Green.
Apperley, Gloucestershire, GL19 – 4DQ
The chapel and the church are open daily.
Holy communion every 1st & 3rd Sunday
0800 hrs 1/2 hr service using the 1662 prayer book.
Holy communion every 2nd Sunday
1100 hrs 1hr service, main eucharist of the month.
Evensong every 4th Sunday
1800 hrs 1hr service
A quiet evening service, using the prayer book.
The canticles are sung, but the rest of the service is
said with hymns and a sermon.
Please telephone beforehand to confirm the service
especially around Christmas and Easter.
Each year a lecture is held in the church, organized by the
Friends of Deerhurst church.
September 2018 at 1930hrs
doors open 1900 hrs
Tickets (Incl glass of wine & cheese) adults
Stagecoach route No 41 Tewkesbury to Cheltenham mon-fri
Boots 0651 hrs – Clarence Street 0718 hrs every 1/2 hr
2321 hrs – 2347 hrs
Cheltenham to Tewkesbury mon-fri
Clarence street 0553 hrs – Boots 0619 hrs
2330 hrs – 2350 hrs
Tewksbury to Cheltenham sat
boots 0706 hrs – Clarence street 0700 hrs every 1/2 hr
2321 hrs – 2353 hrs
Cheltenham to Tewskbury sat
Clarence street 0653 hrs – Boots 0719 hrs every 1/2 hr
2330 hrs – 2353 hrs
Tewskbury to Cheltenham sun
Boots 0942 hrs – Clarence street 1009 hrs every hr
1942 hrs – 2009 hrs
Cheltenham to Tewskbury sun
Clarence street 0850 hrs – Boots 0913 hrs
1850 hrs – 1913 hrs
when alighting from the bus walk down B4213 on first
left bend take right turn off as if going straight on 1 1/2 miles approx or 2.5 km
First Great Western
Gloucester to Worcester
there is a small charged car-park by the chapel &
limited parking by the church.
Places to eat
Old Ferry Inn
Stock lane, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL19-4EQ
tel 01452- 780333
Coal House Inn
Gabbs lane, Apperley, Tewskbury, Gloucestershire, GL19-4DN
Lower Apperley, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL19-4DR
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST CHURCH, ALKBOROUGH.
Back street, Alkborough, Nr Scunthorpe. Lincolnshire, DN15-9JF. O/S map 98 ref SE 882 219
Tel Vicar 01724 721126 no e-mail
The church and the village stand on cliffs overlooking the wide alluvial flats in which the rivers Ouse and Trent join the form the Humber.
The church consists of an Anglo-Saxon west tower, with perpendicular upper storey; an aisled nave, mainly of Early English; and an aiseless chancel being rebuilt in the 19th century.
according to the annuls of Peterborough and the spalding records quote that, Alkborough church belonged to spalding priory, being built by Thorold of Buckenhale who founded the priory shortly before the Conquest. Evidence for the existance of the church before the conquest is given by Hugh Candilus who states the church was given to peterborough by Abbot Bland (1066-700).
THE ROOD CHURCH, AMPNEY CRUCIS.
Ampney Crucis, Gloucestershire, GL7-5RY. O/S map 157 ref SP 065 019.
Tel Vicar 01285 851309 e-mail on church web-site.
The village is about 3 miles east from Cirencester off the road `A 417` to Lechlade, the church is at end of the village, the main feature is the blocked north door in the nave being Saxon, which can be clearly seen within the church and it is excepted the wall is Saxon. The church is spacious and aisleless cruciform plan with a buttressed west tower.
ST. PETER CHURCH. AMPNEY ST PETER.
Ampney St Peter, Gloucestershire, GL7-5SH. O/S map 157 ref SP 082 015
Tel Vicar 01285-851309 e-mail on church web-site.
It is best to park your car at the entrance of the village, as there is little parking space at the church.
The church of Ampney St Peter is about 4 miles east of Cirencester off the A417, the church consists of an aisleless chancel, with a nave to which a north aisle was added in 1877, and a low western tower with a gabled roof just higher than the nave.
The nave may be Anglo-Saxon work due to the thin walls of which they are noted and other features.
ST. EATA CHURCH, ATCHAM.
Atcham, Shropshire, SY5-6QE. O/S map 118 ref SJ 541 092
Tel Vicar 01743 356426 e-mail on church web-site
The church stands at the end of a lane, running between the bridges and the Mutton & Mermaid Hotel.
The church is about 4 miles east-south-east of Shrewsbury off the B 4380, the church tower at the west is late-Norman or Transitional; the aisleless nave is certainly earlier with the walls being tall and thin which are commonly Anglo-Saxon work.
The historian Ordericus Vitalis was baptized in 1075.
ST. ANDREW CHURCH, AYLESTONE.
Old church street, Aylestone, Leicestershire, LE2-8ND. O/S map 121
ref SK 572 010
Tel churchwarden 0796 300 2182
Aylestone is now a suburb of Leicester, being on the eastern side of the river Soar, the church has been hemmed in by later buildings. At first sight there appears to be no fabric, before the Conquest, but on closer inspection a triangular headed window has been re-used from this period, it has been placed in a medieval wall which blocks a 14th century arch in the north wall of the 13th century tower.
The village is in the Doomsday Book, stating that the “the countess Alveva held five carucates of land in Ailestone”. Though the name is said to have come from “Aegels tun” meaning the man Aegels head of the family`s farmstead / tun.
ALL SAINTS CHURCH, BAKEWELL.
South church Street, Bakewell, Derbyshire, DE45-1FD. O/S map 111 ref SK 215 684.
Tel vicar 01629 814462 e-mail on the church web-site.
Bakewell is noted twice in historical record from the first half of the 10th century.
The first of these, in the year 920 A. D., is a record in the `A` version of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle that King Edward `the Elder` went to Bakewell and then ordered that a borough was to be built here and manned.
The second is in a grant by King Eadred in 949 A. D., of an estate at Bakewell to the `duz el miles Uhtred`. The wording of this charter would suggest that the monastery referred to in it was not anew foundation, as previous charters are known to be in existence.
The church is situated on high land to the west of the A6 which passes through Bakewell, a great number of Anglo-Saxon carved stones were found in the mid 19th century beneath the foundations of the north transept which are now displayed in the church, the other feature of the church is namely a crossing which is wider than the main body of any of the four arms of the church, this feature which seems to be characteristic of Anglo-Saxon design and is foreign to Norman design, so the core of the church looks like it was originally an Anglo-Saxon aisleless church.
ST. MARTIN CHURCH, BARHOLM.
main road, Barholm, Lincolnshire, PE9-4RA O/S map 123 ref TF 090 110
Tel vicar 01780 481786 e-mail on church web-site
The village of Barholm is about 4 miles west from Market Deeping and about a mile west of the Roman road, known as King Street. The church now consists of a modern west tower, the foundations being Early English, a nave with an aisle on the north side and a massive Norman arcade, finaaly an aisleless chancel, which is nainly Early English. Our interest is the south wall of the nave which is Anglo-Saxon, starting at the porch were a doorway was cut through this wall and on east to the first buttress, coming from ground level up to within a few feet of the eaves, also next to the porch there is a blocked doorway.
ST.JOHN THE BAPTIST, BARNACK.
main street, Barnack, cambridgeshire, PE9-3DN. O/S map 123 ref TF 079 050
Tel Vicar 01780 740234 no e-mail
The village lies about 3 miles south-east from Stamford and about 2 miles east of the Great North road A1, its quarries have been well regarded for building stone since Roman times, with many important buildings in East Anglia built of Barnack stone, with the Welland nearby it was easy to ferry the stone, loaded fro ma qauy not far north of Barnack.
The church has a west tower of which the first two stages are Anglo-Saxon, the later stage is 13th century, the north and south aisles are of late-Norman and Early English workmanship, and the south porch being Early English, the chancel is ouf the same period. The tower is of our interest being made of roughly squared small block of Barnack stone, this tower has much of interest and there is so much to see.
ST. MARY CHURCH, BARNETBY-LE-WOLD.
church hill, Barnetby-le-wold, Lincolnshire, DN38-6JL. O/S map 104 ref 061 090
The church is redundant but there is keyholder nearby, the information for this is at the church, and it looks like you can park there.
This village lies about 4 miles north-east of Brigg which has moved away from the church to cluster near the railway station, hence the redundancy and a new church, the old church is managed by `The Churches Conservation Trust` who have repaired and keep it in good order.
The church consists of an aisleless nave and chancel, with a low buttressed west tower where the entrance is, the Anglo-Saxon feature is the south wall which either late-Saxon or Saxon-Norman, having a tall narrow key-hole window, high up in the centre of the wall above which there is a carving of a cat, these are the main Anglo-Saxon features.
ST. GILES CHURCH, BARROW.
wenlock road, Barrow, Shropshire, O/S map 118 ref 657 000
Tel Vicar 01952 882647 e-mail on church web-site
Parking is a available here.
This interesting church appears at first sight to be a private chapel, set amongst the farm buildings of Barrow farm, being about 2 miles east of Much Wenlock on the B4376, right handside of the road.
The church has a square buttressed west tower of which appears to be early Norman, an aisleless nave that must certainly be earlier, an Anglo-Saxon chancel, with a rebuilt north transept of a later date and a south porch built in 1705.
It is thought that St. Oswain a little known Welsh saint is buried here.
ST. PETER CHURCH, BARTON-ON-HUMBER.
Barton-on-Humber, North Lincolnshire, DN18-5EX
Tel site 01652 632516 Customer Service 0870 33 1181
History of Anglo-Saxon/Englisc on Barton-on-Humber
The town of Barton-on-Humber is of Anglo-Saxon/Englisc origin and it is during this period that a major settlement on Castledyke South was in occupation (Around where Kings Garth Mill (the Old Mill) is now). There has been a large excavation of an Anglo-Saxon/Englisc cemetery around this site. There is also evidence that the Roman settled on a site east of the Beck stream by 400 A.D., after moving from the location of Poor Farm to the east of the modern town. There may have been a significant local Roman community. Barton-on-Humber is unusual in that it has two impressive churches located close together. The earliest is St. Peter’s , St. Mary’s originally being a chapel of ease to St. Peter’s. There may well have been an earlier church underneath St. Peter’s built by the Saxon lord who lived close to the site of Tyrwhitt Hall (archaeologists have discovered evidence of 5th and 6th century building under the nave). Historians are not sure why two churches have been built so close together but it may well be hat with St. Peter’s being under the control of the monks of Bardney Abbey, the local people felt they needed their own church. In the Domesday Book (1086) Barton was recorded as having a church, market, two mills, a ferry and a population of 1000, it was obviously a very important town in North Lincolnshire.
This is now a redundant church taken over by English Heritage because of its historical value and since hence they have studied the church very carefully.
Opening times 31st March too 30th September 2018
1000 – 1500 hrs both days
Entrance fee members of English Heritage free
Child £2-60p (age 5-15)
Concession £4-00p Family up 5 £16.00
There is also a railway station in the town being the end of the line, also there are places to have something to eat.
This small township of Barton, is on the south bank of the Humber, not far from the bridge. The church is reknown for its Anglo-Saxon tower, but also the baptistry which is joined to the tower on its west side, and is even possibly older, also there is a spacious medieval church which consists of an aisled nave of the Decorated Period, with a parpandicular chancel and clear-storey.
ST. PETER CHURCH, BEDFORD.
De Parys avenue, Bedford, Bedfordshire, MK40-2TR O/S map 143 ref 051 501
vicar 01234 354543 e-mail on church web-site `Church of England`
Able to park behind the church in a car-park.
The church sits in an open area, just off the A6 in the north-west angle of the principle cross-raods in the centre of Bedford, thechurch consists of a spacious aisled nave, with a south porch, an axial tower and a chancel which is wider than the tower and is flanked on the north by a modern vestry. the top of the tower was restored in the 19th century, in the Norman style but it showed that the tower was probably late-Saxon, erected on top of an e arlier west porch, the chancel was formerly the nave of the church.
ST. MARY CHURCH, BIBURY.
Cemetry road, Bibury, Gloucestershire, GL7-5NR O/S map 157 ref 118 065
Tel Vicar 01285 740128 e-mail on church web-site.
There is parking at the church.
The village of Bibury which lies next to river Coln, is about 7 miles north-east of Cirencester, being just off the B4425, the church which at first sight looks like a typical medieval parish church, with an aisled nave, aisleless chancel, and a western tower being somewhat unusual placed over the west bay of the north aisle, but on closer inspection, however, it becomes evident that the greater parts of the walls of an Anglo-Saxon church are incorporated in the present building, which has evolved by the cutting of arcades through the walls of the original nave, and by the extension of the chancel eastward.
ST. JAMES `THE VIRGIN` CHURCH, BIRSTALL.
Church hill, Birstall, Leicestershire, LE4-4DN. O/S map 121 ref SK 596 088
Tel Parish office 01162 671797
Parking cannot find reference to this.
Birstall is now an urban part of northern Leicester, the old part of the village along with the church is east of the A6.
The church has a west tower, with spire: a nave with a south porch and north aisle: and an aisleless chancel with a north vestry. The early chancel appears to have been extended eastward at a later date, to about twice its length, the evidence of its pre-conquest character is to be seen only within the church where a section of the early, rubble walling has been left exposed beside the round-headed, double-splayed window which are from the same period.
ST. MARY CHURCH, BITTON.
Church lane, Bitton, Avon, BS30-6LJ. O/S map 156 ref ST 682 693
No contact details
Parking up by the church.
The village is about mid-way between Bath and Bristol on the old Roman road `via Julia`, the A431, there is evidence of Roman occupation in the area of the village, Roman coins, and fragments of mosaic pavements, while Roman bricks were found in the structure of the west wall of the church.
In the present church, the aisleless Anglo-Saxon nave, with an Early English chapel along the western part of the north side, now stands between an aisleless chancel and a buttressed tower, both dating from the end of the 14th century.
The west front foundations was discovered under the floor of the west tower floor, the original nave also had porticus or side chapels near to the east end, also a south chapel foundation was found, there could possibly have been a north chapel.
ALL SAINTS CHURCH, BRACEBRIDGE.
Manse avenue, Bracebridge, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN5-? O/S map 113 ref SK 968 676
Tel Vicar 01522 540460 e-mail on church web-site
Parking on the road by the church.
Bracebridge is now a suburb of southern Lincoln, the church is by the road to Brant Broughton and within 300 yds/ms of the Roman road to Newark.
The church has a west tower, aisled nave and chancel with north aisle, these were built of undresses small stones with dressed-stone facings. The chancel and the south aisle of the nave are Early English; the north aisles are modern: and the remainder of the church is late Anglo-Saxon.
ALL SAINTS CHURCH, BRANSTON.
Church road, Branston, Lincolnshire, LN4-1XX. O/S map 113 ref TF 021 673
Tel Vicar 01522 788383 e-mail on church web-site
Parking appears to be on the road by the church.
The church lieing within the village, which is about 4 miles south-west of Lincoln, consisting of a west tower with later battlements and spire, and an aisled nave and chancel. The west wall of the nave is clearly pre-conquest being built before the tower, the walls of the nave and tower are similarly built of roughly coarsed, undressed stone, the two walls are not bonded.
The tower is divided by a simple square string-course into two stages, a tall tower stage and a much shorter belfry stage, of characteristic Lincolnshire late-Saxon form.
ST. ANDREW CHURCH, BREDWARDINE.
Church drive, Bredwardine, Herefordshire, HR3-6BT. O/S map 142 ref SO 334 444
Tel Vicar 01497 821656 e-mail on church web-site
Parking is by the church
The interesting three-cell church stands in a circular churchyard close beside, but high above, the south bank of the river Wye, being about 12 miles west of Hereford.
The north wall of the nave has a band of herring-bone masonary, about three coarses in height , along its greater part, not quite extending to its east end. The coarse of masonary appears both externally and internally, is interrupted by a simple round headed blocked doorway towards the west
The west wall shows clear evidence of a former large round-headed doorway now blocked which was no doubt the original entrance, the west wall and lower part of the north wall, with its herring-bone fabric, therefore, suggest a Pre-Norman date, a survival of an earlier church which was in ruins and was rebuilt soon after the conquest.
ST. MARY & ST. HARDULPH CHURCH, BREEDON-ON-THE-HILL.
lane off Squirrel lane, Breedon-on-the-hill, Leicestershire, DE73-8AJ.
O/S map 121 ref SK 405 233
Tel Vicar 01530 222673 e-mail on church web-site
Parking is up by the church which is up the end of the lane, which is north of the village.
Breedon is about 15 miles north-west of Leicester, in the eighth century there was a monastery here as written by Bede whose reference to Archbishop Berhtwald`s death on 9th Janaury 731 and to the consecration in his stead of `Tatwine, of the province of the Mercians, having been a priest in the monastery called Bruidun`. The monastery probably ceased to exist from the time when the Danes wintered at Repton in 873, but it was re-established as a small Augustinian priory in the 12th century, from which time parts of the present church survive.
Although there is no part of the 8th century church survive, but there is a 8th century architectural sculpture in the form of a 80 foot carved friezes, or string-courses, but also a series of larger panels of figure-sculpture of the Mercian style, other friezes were found later high up in the west face of the east wall of the north chapel.
ST. PETER CHURCH, BRIDGFORD EAST.
Kirk hill, East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire, NG13-8PG. O/S map 112 ref SK 691 431
Tel Vicar 01049 20218 e-mail on church web-site
Parking on the road by the church.
The village is on the south side of the river Trent, being about 8 miles east of Nottingham, the church contains unmistakable evidence of its Anglo-Saxon fabric, it took the Rev. A. du B. Hill, who in 1916 directed attention to Anglo-Saxon fabric, who had previously had drawn attention to the Anglo-Saxon fabric of Breamore church, Hampshire.
The present church has a square west tower, a transeptal aisled nave with south porch, and an aiseless chancel, having extensive rebuilding in the 19th century and 20th century where it was found that the Early English cruciform church had developed from an Anglo-Saxon church which might itself have been cruciform. During the later work foundations were found of the nave and chancel, plus also Anglo-Saxon fabric can be seen within the church. In the angle by the south transept, the original south-east quoin about 10 feet of the original south wall of the chancel, also a small section on the north-east wall of the tower.
ST. ANDREW CHURCH, BRIGSTOCK.
Church street, Brigstock, Northamptonshire, NN14-3EX. O/S map 133 ref SP 946 852
Tel no telephone number or e-mail address for contact.
Parking by the church on the road.
The village is about 7 miles north-west of Thrapston, on the A6116 which carries on through the village to Corby. Although the church does not give the impression of great age, but within are Anglo-Saxon features of considerable interest, the church now consists of a west tower, later raised and capped by a stone spire, a circular stair-turret on the west side of the tower, a nave with later aisles carried westward to flank the tower, and an Early English chancel with a large chapel of about the same date on its north.
The pre-conquest fabric includes the main wall of the nave, the square west tower up to and including the first-floor chamber, and the whole of the circular western stair-turret, there is other Anglo-Saxon fabric within the church.
ST. MARY`S CHURCH, BROUGHTON
High Street, Broughton, North Lincolnshire, DN20-0HY, O/S map 104 ref 960 086
Tel Vicar – 01652 600860 e-mail on the church web-site.
There is no car-park at the church, no doubt can park on the road,
visiting can be done on Tuesday mornings at 10.30-11.30hrs
Broughton is now a small town being 23 miles/36 kms north of Lincoln on the Roman road known as Ermine Street.
The church now consists of a chancel with side-chapels, an aisled nave, a west tower, and a round western stair-turret. The chancel is mainly Early English, with some remains of Norman work; the nave is Decorated, with perpendicular aisles and clear-storey; and parts of the tower are on the borderline between Anglo-Saxon and Norman.
ST. MEDARD, LITTLE BYTHAM.
O/S map 123 ref TF 013 180
ST. NICHOLAS, CABOURNE.
O/S map 104 ref TA 139 018
ST. PETER & ST. PAUL, CAISTOR.
O/S map 104 ref TA 116 012
O/S map 135 ref TL 449 583
ST. GILES, CAMBRIDGE.
O/S map 135 ref TL 445 591
ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CARLTON-IN-LINDRICK.
O/S map 103 ref SK 588 839
ST. MICHAEL, CASTLE FROME.
O/S map 143 ref SO 667 458
ST. LAURENCE, CAVERSFIELD.
O/S map 146 ref SP 581 252
ST. ANDREW, CAXTON.
O/S map 134 ref TL 300 578
ST. THOMAS A BECKET, CLAPHAM.
O/S map 147 ref TL 035 525
HOLY TRINITY, CLEE.
O/S map 105 ref TA 290 084
ALL SAINTS, COLEBY.
O/S map 113 ref SK 975 606
ST. ANDREW, COLN ROGERS.
O/S map 157 ref SP 087 097
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, COLSTERWORTH.
O/S map 122 ref SK 930 241
ST. LAURENCE, CORRINGHAM.
O/S map 104 ref SK 872 917
ST. ANDREW, CRANWELL.
O/S map 113 ref TF 032 499
ST. NICHOLAS, CUXWOLD.
O/S map 105 ref TA 172 011
HOLY CROSS, DAGLINGWORTH.
O/S map 157 ref SO 994 050
ST. PETER, DIDDLEBURG.
O/S map 129 ref SO 508 853
ST. MICHAEL, DUNTISBOURNE ROUSE.
O/S map 157 ref SO 985 060
ST MARY, DYMOCK.
O/S map 143 ref SO 700 312
ALL SAINTS, EARLS BARTON.
O/S map 133 ref SP 852 638
ST. MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, EDENHAM.
O/S map 123 ref TF 062 218
DEDICATION UNCERTAIN POSSIBLY ST. MARY, EDGEWORTH.
O/S map 157 ref SO 948 059
DEDICATION UNKNOWN, EGLETON.
O/S map 122 ref SK 876 075
ST BARTHOLOMEW, FOSTON.
O/S map 133 ref SP 603 950
ST. MARY MAGDALENE, GEDDINGTON.
O/S map 133 ref SP 895 830
ST. MICHAEL, GLENTWORTH.
O/S map 104 ref SK 945 881
ST. BARTHOLOMEW, GREEN’S NORTON.
O/S map 146 ref SP 669 499
ALL SAINTS, GREETWELL.
O/S map 113 ref TF 013 714
ST. MARY, HAINTON.
O/S map 105 ref TF 180 844
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, GREAT HALE.
O/S map 113 & 123 ref TF 148 428
ST. MARY, HARDWICK.
O/S map 146 ref SP 806 190
ST. CHAD, HARPSWELL.
O/S map 104 ref SK 936 900
ST. KATHERINE & ST. MARY MAGDALENE, HEREFORD.
O/S map 142 ref SO 510 397
ST. PETER, HOLTON-LE-CLAY.
O/S map 105 ref TA 286 027
ALL SAINTS, HOUGH-ON-THE-HILL.
O/S map 113 ref SK 923 463
ST. MARY MAGDALENE, ICKLETON.
O/S map 148 ref TL 494 438
ST. PETER, IVER.
O/S map 160 ref TQ 040 811
ST. DAVID, KILPECK.
O/S map 142 ref SO 445 305
ST. ANDREW, KINGSBURY.
O/S map 160 ref TQ 206 869
ALL SAINTS, SOUTH KYME.
O/S map 113 ref TF 168 497
DEDICATION UNKNOWN, LANGFORD.
O/S map 157 ref SP 249 025
ST. MICHAEL, LAVENDON.
O/S map 146 ref SP 915 536
ST. NICHOLAS, LEICESTER.
O/S map 121 ref SK 583 045
ST. BENEDICT, LINCOLN.
O/S map 113 ref SK 975 711
ST. MARY-LE-WIGFORD, LINCOLN.
O/S map 113 ref SK 974 708
ST. PETER-AT-GOWTS, LINCOLN.
O/S map 113 ref SK 973 703
ST. PETER, LUSBY.
O/S map 114 ref TF 340 679
ST. PETER & ST. PAUL, MARKET OVERTON.
O/S map 122 ref SK 886 165
ST. ANDREW, MISERDEN.
O/S map 157 ref SO 936 089
ST, MARGARET, MORTON.
O/S map 104 ref SK 840 817
RUINED PRIORY CHURCH OF ST. MILBURGA, MUCH WENLOCK.
O/S map 118 & 129 ref SJ 625 000
ST. MARY, NASSINGTON.
O/S map 134 ref TL 063 962
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, NETTLETON.
O/S map 104 ref TA 111 002
ST. MARY, NORTHCHURCH.
O/S map 160 ref SP 974 088
NO KNOWN DEDICATION, NORTH LEIGH.
O/S map 145 ref SP 387 136
CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF CHRIST, OXFORD.
O/S map 158 ref SP 515 059
ST. MICHAEL, OXFORD.
O/S map 158 ref SP 513 063