St Peter`s on the wall
Bradwell on sea, Essex, CM0 – 7PX
In 653 St Cedd sailed down the East coast from Lindisfarne to land at Bradwell on sea, here he found the ruins of an old Roman fort where no doubt he had at first a wooden church built, but later replaced this with stone from the fort to create the chapel we see today, St Cedd modelled the church on the style found in Eygpt and Syria as the Celtic/British church was greatly influenced by the Coptic faith, St Antony of Eygpt who had set up the first monasteries in the desert and built his church from the ruins of a Roman fort on the banks of a river, which St Cedd had copied on the banks of the Blackwater, called the Pant then in Essex.
St Cedd`s mission to the East Saxons was so successful that same year he was recalled to Lindisfarne, where he was ordained as bishop to the East Saxons.
His simple monastery in Bradwell would like those in Iona and Lindisfarne have been a church, a community for both men and women also a hospital, library, school, arts centre, farm, guest house and a mission base, as the client king would have given enough land so they could become self-sufficient, from there he established other centres at Mersea, Tilbury, Prittlewell and Upminster.
so the life of the church was founded in 654 to become the Othona community, the cathedral of St Peter`s built on the foundation of the fort, in fact the cathedral was built where the gate house stood, so hence the name St Peter on the wall.
In 664 St cedd died of the plague up in Lastingham, Northumbria, soon after his passing his churchpassed in to the Diocese of London, then the capital of Essex and so St Peter`s became a minster for the surrounding countryside.
In 1068 the chapel became the property of the Benedictine monastery of St Vallery on the Somme.
In 1391 the chapel was sold to William of Wykeham.
In 1750 by now the chapel was in use as a barn for the storage of grain and a shelter for cattle.
Lastly in 1920 becoming full circle the chapel was restored to what it is today, a quiet chapel set on the banks of the Blackwater.
Rev`ds Laurence & Margaret Whitford
The rectory, East End road, Bradwell on sea, Essex, CM0 – 7PX,
tel 01621 776203
Summer Sunday evening services starting at 6-30pm
there is a different theme each week.
these services start on the first Sunday of July and end on the last Sunday of August.
There are other services during the year, contact the Vicars.
The chapel is open through out the year for a visit and / or Prayer
in this solitary place of God.
There is a car-park near the church which is down a track, there is no access directly locked gate, distance about 1/4 mile.
There is a pilgrimage path leading to the chapel, this will be added soonest when the information is found.
Stephensons buses tel 01206 877620
route D4 Southminster to Bradwell on sea
board the bus in Southminster at stop D
The line from London (Liverpool Street) to Southminster.
Mon – Sat Sunday
regular once an hour 15 mins past
Take into the fact that there is approx a 3 mile walk on deboarding
the bus at Bradwell, it is sign posted by the church, down the East end road.
Places to eat
The Green Man
Waterside, Bradwell on sea, out of the village north, on the banks of the Blackwater,
lunch & evening meals
East End road, CM0 – 7PT
tel 01621 776013
there is a bus stop near here for the D1, this is about half way towards the chapel.
Eastlands meadows country park,
East End road,
this is a cafe` for the caravan park which is nearer to the chapel.
The Kings Head
This pub is at the top end of East End road by the church, there is nothing found at present on this pub.
ST. ANDREW`S CHURCH, GREENSTED
St. Andrew`s Church, Church lane, Greensted-Juxta-Ongar, Essex, CM5-9LD
Greensted Church is the oldest wooden church in the world and probably the oldest wooden building in Europe, The knave is wooden no doubt the original church which has been built on over the centuries, the wood was felled in the 1060s A.D.
Rev Adrei Petrine,
The Rectory, 52, Epping road, Toot hill, Ongar, Essex, CM5-9SQ.
Tel – 01992-524421.
1st Sunday family service – 0930hrs
2nd ” Holy communion – 0930hrs
3rd ” Matins – 0930hrs
4th ” Holy communion – 0930hrs
Special Good Friday service at 1800hrs.
Easter Sunday Holy communion 0930hrs.
Church is open daily
Summer – 1000hrs – 1800hrs approx
Winter – 1000hrs – 1600hrs
There is parking on the side of the road by the church.
Brentwood station on the Liverpool Street station line.
Harlow station on the kings Cross station line.
Both stations are some kms/miles from Greensted.
There is service linking Brentwood and Harlow which passes through Ongar, which is about 1 1/2km / 1mile walk from Ongar
ST. KATHERINE CHURCH, LITTLE BARDFIELD.
Little Bardfield, Essex. CM7-4TT O/Smap 148 ref TL 656 307
Tel Vicar 01371 810267 e-mail church web-site
There is car-parking available
The church is beside a by-road within the heart of the village, in the grounds of Little Bardfield hall, the village is about 3 miles to the east from Thaxted. The church is built wholly of flint rubble and consists of an Anglo-Saxon west tower and aisleless nave, with a modern chancel flanked by a vestry on the north and an organ chamber on the south. The interior of th4e church has been beautifully restored by Howell and Bellion between 2004 and 2006.
The tower is of late-Saxon workmanship almost to the top, and is one of the few examples of square Anglo-Saxon towers, built of flint without dressed stone at the angles or the window openings, the nave from the outside shows its Saxon workmanship.
ST. MARY `THE VIRGIN` CHURCH, BIRCHANGER.
Birchanger lane, Birchanger, Essex, CM25-5QH O/S map 148 ref TL 507 228
Tel Vicar 01279 815243 e-mail on church web-site.
Parking seems to be on the road by the church.
Birchanger is situated on high land, about 2 miles north-east of Bishop`s Stortford, being a small church which was drastically altered in the 19th century and now consists of a nave and chancel in a single rectangle, with a north aisle and entrance porch.
Before the work was carried out, the north wall was described tall with a little narrow window in central position, which is an indication of Anglo/Norman work, the only surviving work which looks like coming from the 11th century, pre-conquest, is the south and north doorways which are simple and point to this date.
ST. BOTOLPH. HADSTOCK
Church Path, Hadstock, Essex, CB21-4PH O/S map 148 ref TL 558-447
No contact. Church of England web-site Botolph`s Hadstock
Parking is available, the church is situated at the top of the Church Path, with its own car-park near the church. To get to Church Path drive to the village green and follow the sign.
Train Service – Cambridge station on the line from King`s Cross, London.
Bus Service – Cambridge/Bus Station Bay 8 too Haverhill/Bus Station Stand 2. Stagecoach route no 13/13a. Regular service seven days a week
There is a pub. The Kings Head, Linton road. Tel – 01223 894550
This interesting church has a commanding position to the south of the village, near the top of the ridge of high land which lies between Hadstock and Saffron Walden